Monday, October 25, 2010

First Post


Hi, I'm Jesse, and I want to make programmers more productive.

I plan to release a series of tools to forward that goal.

These are tools that I originally developed for myself, but have now decided to share with others (hopefully making a lot of money in the process).

My first step in this journey is releasing Value Grapher. It was a desktop tool that I've just turned into a web-app.

So what is Value Grapher? Well... as I work I find myself asking a number of questions over and over: Am I using my working hours effectively? Is this project taking more time that it's worth? Should I be focusing more on the long-term or the short-term? How much more? Value Grapher is an attempt at answering questions like these.

Basically how it works is you tell it how much time you spent working on each of your projects and how much each of those projects are worth. Value Grapher takes the value of each project divided by the amount of time you spent working on it and gives you back a graph of your productivity.

This is very much a minimum-viable-product. It's a step down for me functionality wise. I had to make a few sacrifices in order to get it working as a web-app. But I've decided to start dog-fooding my crappy web-app and as of today have gone cold-turkey on my original tool. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: